RX FOR A HEALTHIER YOU
Prescribe the Y is a prescription for health. The Y is inviting local health care providers to prescribe the Y for those patients who could benefit from increased activity. With a prescription, the patient (and their household) will receive a discounted 30-day membership to the Y. YMCA Wellness Coaches will work with patients to develop personalized fitness plans based on the recommendations of their healthcare provider. We believe that this program can be extremely beneficial.
At the Y, patients and their families will gain increased self-confidence to initiate and sustain positive health habits. Surrounded by a community of support and meaningful relationships, Prescribe the Y participants will have the opportunity to create personalized, realistic health goals and make progress in achieving long-term change that will last the rest of their lives.
Benefits to the Patient (and Family)
- Long-term healthy lifestyle change
- Learn to exercise in a safe way for improved strength, flexibility, balance & range of motion
- Prevention instead of intervention • Free child care while working out at the Y
- $30 “Y-Card” at the end of the month trial that can be applied to membership or classes, if the patient has completed an initial assessment, participated in a group exercise class and used the Y at least three times a week
- Open Arms Financial Assistance program for those in need
In addition to utilizing the Y, the Prescribe the Y program encourages participants to engage in activity such as using the Blue Water River Walk and other community trails for walking, running and biking, public tennis courts, boating clubs, outdoor fitness parks, local ski hills, cross country skiing trails, mall walking and at-home programs as ways to get active.
The Y also provides activities for families to participate in at home. The YMCA Healthy Family Home website is an excellent resource for people of all ages interested in taking steps towards a healthier lifestyle and overall better well-being. When entering this website the user-friendly arrangement provides visitors an organized way to finding exactly what they are looking for.
St. Clair County Medical Society Foundation
Lake Huron Medical Center Medical Staff
McLaren Port Huron Medical Staff