LET'S BUILD A BETTER US
2020 Open Arms Annual Campaign
In March, the state forced us to temporarily suspend access to YMCA facilities and programs. Since then, the Y has been able to open our doors wider to support our neighbors in need. Our Y is supporting our community and those on the front lines of the COVID-19 fight through these major initiatives:
- The Y is offering Emergency Child Care as well as Camp Hope for children of those who serve as first responders, healthcare and hospital workers, government officials, grocery workers and others who must continue to work during this challenging time.
- The Y is hosting American Red Cross blood drives.
- Staff from the Y are working with Port Huron Schools to pack and deliver meals and lesson packets to families in our community. Usually our Y on the Fly vans are out delivering fun sports experiences but they have been repurposed for this effort.
- The Y is working with the Food Bank of Eastern Michigan to do pop-up food distributions. Each distribution will provide 9,000 pounds of food to our friends and neighbors in need.
- We are calling seniors and doing wellness checks to ensure they are safe and getting food. We’re helping them through technology questions and connecting them to community resources.
- The Livestrong Team is keeping the LIVESTRONG at the Y program going using Zoom to connect and provide the much needed support to our cancer survivors.
- Have you had a chance to check out our Virtual Y? Our local Y staff is offering a virtual spring session on Zoom. In addition, for those who are looking for activity options for themselves and their kids, we have a variety of programming available on-demand through Y360 and 12 Bursts.
The Y is able to serve in these ways because of your generous support of our friends and neighbors. Please give today.